Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Flying in for the procedure

I had to re-arrange our lives to fly back to Singapore for the procedure.

For all our fertility procedures actually.

I remember when we first started on this IVF journey and had discussed our options with some friends who have gone down this route before - opinions are very divided as to whether we should pursue this option locally (out of Singapore on home ground) or overseas where we are living.

One couple was advised to start treatment overseas as their doctor felt that it was too traumatising for the couple to fly in and out of the country for each step of the treatment, given that both parties hold full time jobs. This doctor assured the couple that the overseas centers are alright to proceed with the treatment given the sheer numbers they see as well as the obvious advantage of cost and convenience, despite being in a developing country.

Another couple shared that their doctor had advised them to pursue treatment in Singapore due to the medical advancement and level of medical care here. High costs are an obvious deterrent but I guess it comes with a peace of mind knowing that the level of service provided is much better. There is an added complication of having to make travel arrangements for both parties to be in Singapore for all or parts of the procedure - not to mention how much more complex this can turn out to be if one party held a full time job.

We, or rather, I had felt very strongly for giving Singapore a shot going by my previous experience with the overseas center for IUI as well as hearing a friend's experience there. This instinct proved to be a sound one given all the complications we have since uncovered through Fresh 1,2 and 3, though it doesn't mean that travel and work arrangements have been really tough in addition to ensuring full care for our firstborn.

So here I am en route to Singapore for my fertility operation, leaving my darling firstborn in the care of her nanny and a good mate who will be helping her with her schoolwork. Leaving my husband behind and heading for an operation without his hand holding mine.

A high price to pay but we know that it will amount to something meaningful one day. Meantime, here's adding to some happiness factor with my childhood friends, the Smurfs! How can I not smile when I see them?


No comments:

Post a Comment